Sunday, September 17, 2006

Those Who Are About To Boldly Go, I Salute You!

Well, The Daily Advertiser mentioned The Trektastic Voyage today, and I figure there might be a few of you out there joining the voyage due to the article. I thought I'd use this entry to introduce you to The Trektastic Voyage and what it's all about.

First of all, I'd like to thank both Trevis Badeaux and Judy Bastien for their interest in my passion for Trek and The Trektastic Voyage. It's always a wonderful opportunity to get your work plugged in a quality publication read by thousands, so thanks to both of you for giving me some space, no pun intended.

I enjoyed the article, though I felt it was a little brief. But then again, I'm the guy who has a weekly (sometimes tri-weekly) blog on Star Trek. So I know that the article is as long as it could be, and I was glad that Star Trek got some much-deserved attention.

If you read the article, you know how I got into Trek in the first place and why I'm still here almost thirty years later. I've been watching Star Trek since I was a small child who wasn't yet able to talk. It's been a part of my life since then and always will be.

Which brings me to The Trektastic Voyage. If you're wondering why I'm doing this, it's simple. Two weeks ago, on September 8th, 2006, Star Trek turned 40. I wanted to do something to commemorate the anniversary, but instead of doing something that would begin with the anniversary year and then be over the night of the anniversary, I decided to launch a year-long marathon beginning with the anniversary night. Thus I decided that I'd watch one or two episodes a week until September 8th, 2007. I decided on Friday nights because that's when the anniversary fell this year and because Friday nights have long been "Sci-Fi Fridays" for me, nights when I watch the excellent "Battlestar Galactica" and used to watch "Firefly" and "Star Trek Enterprise" before both were cancelled.

So I watched "The Man Trap," the episode of Star Trek that launched the phenomenon on 9/8/66, and then decided I'd watch two episodes every Friday night afterward, until I get down to only one episode a Friday, then finally, one film a Friday. The way this all plotted out, I will watch the final film featuring the original cast, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, on Saturday, September 8th, 2007, exactly one year after I began my marathon of Trek love.

It then occurred to me to mix my other passion, writing, with my passion for Trek. Thus The Trektastic Voyage was born, inspired by the classic sci-fi film of the fifties, "The Fantastic Voyage," which I recently learned was also released in 1966. So we have two fortieth anniversaries going on here.

So every Friday night (unless real life dictates otherwise) I will watch episodes of the original Star Trek and write about my feelings here. I will also share whatever triva I feel might be fun, as well as screencaps from the original episodes.

So there you have it, cadets, your introduction to The Trektastic Voyage. I hope you'll stay aboard through this odyssey, and maybe even come to appreciate a series that has impacted not only science fiction, but also the world of science and technology.

To paraphrase Captain Kirk, I'll see you "out there."

Chris

By the way, Jeff LaJaunie: THIS is how you do the Vulcan salute! Now, can I have some free comics? Just kidding!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home