Saturday, September 16, 2006

What's Old Is Kind Of Still Old Again...

Captain's Log: 9170.6. 0043 hrs.

Well, we were in bed early tonight, around nine. I woke up at eleven fifteen to use the restroom and realized the remastered "Balance of Terror" was on.

I was excited to see just what the enhancements would look like. I didn't have any high expectations for these, as I knew from articles I've read that this would be nothing like George Lucas's approach to his films.

The CBS Paramount team did a fantastic job with the new Enterprise. I checked a few of the Trek boards after finishing BOT to see what the consensus was, and most people there were underwhelmed by the remastered effects.

The truth is, though, as one poster put it, there's only so much that can be done. The episodes have to be cut to fit a certain time, meaning that they're already pressed for time. So where exactly would new, longer, and more dynamic space shots fit into the episodes? And as for updating the graphics on the screens on the Enterprise bridge, the time, effort, and money that would have involved for every episode would have been beyond the scope of this project.

I was impressed by the new, re-recorded theme at the beginning, and most of all, the new model of the Enterprise. The new model does a fantastic job of highlighting why the original Enterprise is the most beautiful spaceship in all of sci-fi history.

Second to the Enterprise was the vibrant look of the colors and the clarity of the picture, which resulted from the remastering of the original prints in HD. I watched BOT last weekend, and I don't recall the colors jumping out quite like that. So if I do buy these remastered episodes on DVD, it will mainly be for the Enterprise and the remastered print.

The airing of these episodes will not affect The Trekastic Voyage airing schedule, but I will watch them from time to time and comment here.

Check in tomorrow for a brief bit on the Sunday Advertiser's article on Trek's 40th anniversary and The Trektastic Voyage!

Log out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home